• Dreamhost Banner Ad

Global Translator Plugin And Google Adsense

I actually thought that all of those languages on Global Translator Plugin are supported by Google Adsense since it uses the Google Translate engine. Unfortunately, my thought was wrong. Maling akala. Thanks to Silkenhut, he noticed that not all languages there are supported by Google Adsense, so I have to disable some of the languages that are not supported to comply with the Adsense TOS.

Silkenhut listed the languages that are supported by Google Adsense on his post. To make your life easier, I will do the opposite. I am listing here now the languages NOT supported by Google Adsense that you have to disable on the Global Translator Plugin to make your Google Adsense in full compliance with their TOS. Just uncheck them on the list.

Here they are:

  • Hindi
  • Romanian
  • Catalan
  • Filipino
  • Indonesian
  • Latvian
  • Lithuanian
  • Slovenian
  • Ukrainian
  • Vietnamese

After disabling these languages, the translated pages will now show a 404 page. Google bot will notice that and will remove them on the Google cache. However, to make sure that Google bot doesn’t visit them anymore and reindex them, I’ve added the following lines on my robots.txt file:

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow: /hi/
Disallow: /ro/
Disallow: /ca/
Disallow: /tl/
Disallow: /id/
Disallow: /lv/
Disallow: /lt/
Disallow: /sl/
Disallow: /uk/
Disallow: /vi/

If you installed the Global Translator Plugin and you have Google Adsense at the same time, I highly recommend that you do the same.

That’s all folks!

Marhgil Macuha

Marhgil Macuha is a Computer Engineering graduate of Batangas State University. He is currently a Senior Solutions Developer at a Canadian IT company.


  1. thanks for the tip mhargil! am gonna do that. 🙂

  2. Thanks again Mar! I need to work this out now!

  3. Thanks for the info.. It is now changed in my blog 🙂

  4. I’m so sad that Adsense doesn’t support Indonesian 🙁

  5. Salamat sa tip. Pero tanong ko lang, bakit bawal ang Filipino eh may mga Adsense ads na Tagalog ang text. At tsaka, naaalala ko, sinabi ni Ms. Aileen Apolo na pwede daw lagyan ang blogs na Filipino ng Adsense. Hmmm… hindi kaya not up to date yung list ng supported languages sa Adsense website? Anyway, better safe than sorry.

  6. Thanks for the tip! Will edit later after work! 😀

  7. This plugin will actually come in handy as I am hoping to start selling to the oriental market.

  8. Gracias Señor Marhgil! Menardconnect sitio se está ejecutando el plugin Transalation Mundial.

    Más poder para usted y para su sitio web!

  9. Hello,

    I want to tell you that ROMANIAN is supported by google adsense, so you shouldn’t remove those pages! You can check here: https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=9727


  10. Thanks for your post Marhgil.
    I myself was thinking of applying translation.
    It is always good to get informed about these Adsense issues.

  11. thanks for the tip mhargil! am gonna do that.

  12. I suspect that a lot of the 404 ‘not found’ pages thrown back by Google Webmaster Tools as a result of the Global Translator being installed are a result of the lengthy translation process and resulting time-outs. I found this to be problem after changing the theme of my blog and consequently having to delete translated pages from my cache so that they didn’t display with the former style rules. This resulted in the production of new translations on demand and the unavoidable delays.

    It’s a drastic step to start blocking languages in the robots.txt file and I would suggest that users ensure they have a customised 404 error page, perhaps containing a Google custom site search box (another source of revenue) or, better still, a system of redirection back to the homepage or via common tags to a related page. The Smart404 plugin does the job in WordPress and I imagine something similar is available for other platforms.

    I’m grateful to Marhgil for the above observations and have nevertheless excluded from robots.txt the more obscure languages that I once supported out of curiosity, but discovered were conflicting with Adsense. I think it’s a good idea to regularly check the recent list of ‘not found’ pages in Webmaster Tools to find immediate solutions.

Leave a Reply